Barbecue Shrimp Recipes on this page:
1. Hot Barbecue Shrimp Kebabs
2. Caribbean Shrimps (Prawns)
These kebabs are not for the faint hearted. This receipe uses jalapeno peppers but any small pepper can be used, depending on the heat strength that you prefer. Use different colour peppers (red, green and yellow) if possible to add to the visual effect. The tomatoes help to cool the moouth after eating a chilli wrapped shrimp.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time 5 minutes
18 jalapeno peppers
12 cherry tomatoes 9 fresh basil leaves, shredded
fresh root ginger, about 1" (25mm) cube, finely chopped
18 raw tiger shrimps, peeled
a knob of fresh butter
freshly ground black pepper
1. Mix together the butter, shredded basil and root ginger in a bowl to make a paste.
2. Slit the chillies lengthways and scrape out the seeds.
2. Place a shrimp inside a chilli. Spread some butter paste over the shrimp and then press the chilli together to enclose the shrimp. Repeat for all of the shrimps.
3. Thread a chilli onto a bamboo skewer, followed by a tomato. Continue until three chillies, interspaced with cherry tomatoes are on each skewer. Make-up 6 skewers.
4. Grill the chillies over moderately hot coals for about 5 minutes. Turn frequently until the chillies are soft and slightly charred and the shrimps are cooked through.
5. Serve immediately.
24 raw tiger shrimps, peeled
1 pineapple cubes
225ml (7.5 fl oz) of pineapple juice
3 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
3 tablespoons of muscavado sugar
3 tablespoons of desiccated (shredded) coconut
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Marinade time: 60 minutes
Cooking time 10 minutes
1. Mix together half the pineapple juice, vinegar, sugar and coconut in a non-metallic dish. Add the prawns and pineapple chunks and toss well. Leave to marinade for 60 minutes.
2. Remove the prawns and pineapple from the marinade and thread, alternatively, onto a skewer. Reserve the marinade.
3. Peel the pineapple, cut in half, then cut into 1" (25mm) cubes.
4. Put the marinade, the remaining half of the pineapple, and the remaining pineapple juice into a food processor and blend into a thick sauce.
5. Pour the sauce into a saucepan, bring to the boil and gently simmer for about 5 minutes.
6. Brush the kebabs with the marinade. Grill the kebabs for about 5 minutes turning and brushing with the marinade occasionally. Cook until the shrimps are cooked through.