This barbecued mushroom sandwich uses large open cap mushrooms. I like cooking with large mushrooms becuase they have a fuller' flavor. The larger the mushroom the more mature it is in flavor.
I've a number of recipes for stuffed mushrooms and mushroom kebabs, as well as different types of mushroom burgers. This is a receipe that came across for a grilled mushroom sandwich, cooked in a conventional oven. I tried it out and it was absolutely delicious. I thought that it would be just as good on the barbecue. So here's my version of a barbecued mushroom sandwich. I've changed it slighty as some of the ingredients from the original recipe weren't readily available.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
1. Remove the stalks from the mushrooms, finely chop and put into a bowl.
2. Add the sun-dried tomatoes, chilli, garlic and parsley to the bowl. Season with salt and pepper and mix all the ingredients together.
3. Spoon the mixture over the mushrooms.
4. Place the mushrooms on a barbecue over medium hot coals and grill for about 10 to 15 minutes.
5. While cooking, cut the burger buns and spread the Dijon mustard over each half. Then lay the watercress over the bottom half of each bun.
6. When cooked, place the mushrooms on top of the watercress and put the top half of the burger bun on top of the mushroom. Serve at once.