|Tandoori fish is not a traditional tandoori recipe
as fish was hard to come by in the Punjab. Recently however it has become
a delicacy. Practically any type of fish can be used, mackerel, salmon,
trout, swordfish, cod or even shellfish is good.
The marinade used for this tandoori fish dish is the same as used for
tandoori chicken and lamb but with 3 less garlic cloves.
Traditionally, tandoori dishes are cooked in a clay oven called a tandoor.
You can achieve an authentic flavor with this tandoori fish dish using
your own barbecue grill.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Marinating time: 24 hours
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 3 pound (1450g) of filleted fish
- 4 tablespoons of lime or lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 9 fl oz (265ml) of yoghurt
- 3 tablespoons of mustard oil
- 6 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1.5 teaspoons of salt
- 2.5 teaspoons of paprika
- 2.5 teaspoons of ground coriander
- 2.5 teaspoons of ground cumin
- 1.5 teaspoons of ground ginger
- 0.5 teaspoons of food coloring powder (red, orange or yellow)
1. Lightly slash the fillets with the sharp point of a knife. Place
in a shallow dish pour on the lemon or lime juice, and salt. Leave for
about 15 minutes.
2. Cook over medium hot coals for about 10 to 15 minutes. Skin side
4. Serve on a bed of lettuce and onion rings with a wedge of lemon.