Tandoori Murgh Hariali (Green Tandoori)
|Chicken marinated in spinach and fresh herbs |
Traditionally, Tandoori Murgh Hariali (Green Tandoori) is cooked in a clay oven called a tandoor. You can achieve an authentic tandoor flavor using your own barbecue grill.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Marinating time: 24 hours
Cooking time: 30 minutes
| || |
- 3 small chickens about 2 pounds (900g each)
- 3 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 3 inches (7.5cm) of fresh ginger
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 12 ounces (300g) of spring onions
- 3.4 pound (1.5kg) fresh coriander leaves
- 1.5 tablespoons of garam masala
- 12 ounces (340g) fresh mint leaves
- 1.5 pound (675g) 0f fresh spinach, washed and prepared
- 12 green chillies
- 24 ounces (600ml) yoghurt
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1.5 cups of mustard oil
1. Skin the chickens, slit the breasts and legs, and remove all the fat. Place in a bowl and marinate for at least 4 hours.
2. Grind together the ginger, garlic, spring onions, coriander and mint leaves, spinach and green chillies. When ground finely, add to the yoghurt, then mix in the garam masala, salt, pepper and mustard oil. Rub thoroughly into the chicken then cover and leave to stand overnight in refrigerator.
3. Preheat the oven to to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) and shake the excess marinade off the chicken. Cut the chicken into joints then cook over medium hot until cooked. For about 25 to 30 minutes.
4. Serve on a bed of lettuce and onion rings with a wedge of lemon. Accompanied with