In Texas barbecue brisket reigns supreme. Little wonder in the land where beef is king.
The long cooking time, low temperature, and smoke results in beef brisket that’s smoky, moist and tender enough to cut with a fork.
Brisket is a tough cut of beef and so needs a lengthy cooking time.
Texas barbecue brisket is an easy recipe to make. All you really need is the brisket yourself. You can use a rub but the recipe below uses only the brisket and allows the smoke alone to flavour the meat. If you like to use a rub, I suggest a fairly simple one. Rub it into the meat and leave it to marinade for about 8 hours, or overnight, in a refrigerator.
Once you’ve tried this basic recipe you can try different marinades, cooking times and wood. Pit masters can spend years trying to perfect barbecue brisket.
The classic beef brisket is made in a barbecue smoker. Using this method the cooking time is measured in half days as opposed to hours!
This recipe uses a hooded grill set-up for indirect grilling
Through experience I’ve found that choosing the right sized piece brisket with a good untrimmed layer of fat is the secret in achieving really tender Texas barbecue brisket. Try using a smaller piece of trimmed brisket than that stated in the recipe and you’ll end up with a dry, probably tough, piece of meat. Believe me, I’ve tried.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 5 to 8 hours
1. Rinse the brisket and pat dry with paper towels.
2. Set-up your grill for indirect grilling . There’s no need for a drip pan as you’re standing the brisket in the aluminium foil dish.
3. When the charcoal is ready, put on the wood chips or chunks. If you’re using a gas barbecue, follow the manufacturers instructions.
4. Place the beef brisket on the aluminium foil dish and place in the center of the grill, away from the heat. Cover the barbecue and leave to smoke for about 5 to 8 hours.
5. Periodically baste the brisket with the juices from the foil dish. Add extra charcoal and wood chips/chunks as required.
6. When your Texas barbecue brisket is cooked, transfer to a cutting board and let stand for about 15 minutes. Carve the brisket into thin slices across the grain. Transfer to a serving platter and pour over the juices from the foil dish and serve immediately.
Barbecue brisket tastes really great with a classic texas sauce. Make your own Top Sectret BBQ Sauce Recipe .
For a real taste of Texas, visit Cowboys-n-Campfires .