Thai style bananas are the perfect way to end your barbecue. Traditional
Thai food is cooked on an open charcoal stove and meat and chicken are
The Thai people rarely end a meal with an elaborate dessert but with
the abundance of bananas in Thailand, the wide range of Thai dishes that
include bananas, and their method of cooking, it’s no wonder that
a favourite dessert is barbecued bananas. Once you’ve tried Thai
style bananas it’ll become a firm favourite. It looks great and tastes
even better, and the children love it.
|| From a health point of view, bananas contain
high levels of natural sugars which are a better source of energy than foods
that contain refined sugar. Bananas contain a good amount of potassium which
helps redress our typically high salt diet. Bananas are often regarded as
a super food!
Tip - don’t store bananas in the fridge, as their skins will
turn black! Keep them at room temperature, or in a cool place.
- 6 medium sized bananas
- 3 tablespoons of shredded, fresh, coconut
- 60 g (2 oz) of unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon of grated ginger root
- The grated zest of 1 orange
- 4 tablespoons of lime juice
- 6 tablespoons of Cointreau or Grand Marnier
- 3 teaspoons of sesame seeds
- Place the bananas, unpeeled, on a grill over hot coals. Cook for about
8 minutes, turning frequently, until the skins are blackened.
- While the bananas are cooking, heat a small non-stick frying pan until
hot. Add the coconut and fry for about 1 minute until lightly coloured,
stirring constantly. Remove from the pan and allow to cool.
- Place the bananas on serving plates and cut one segment of the skin
away so that they are boat like in shape.
- Heat the butter in a frying pan until it melts. Add the ginger and
orange zest. Mix well for 1 to 2 minutes until the mixture becomes sticky.
Add the Cointreau or Grand Marnier and stir well to blend. Ignite with
a taper and allow the flames to die down.
- Pour the sauce over the bananas where the segment of skin has been
removed. Sprinkle with the coconut and sesame seeds.
For an extra special treat serve your barbecue Thai style barbecue bananas
with scoops of coconut or praline flavoured ice cream. Or both!!
Thai Style Bananas related pages:
Thai Coconut Rice